Skip to content
- Florida dermatologist Dr. Gary Marder agrees to pay $18 million to reimburse the federal government for money received from Medicare for radiation and biopsies that weren’t medically necessary.
- Dr. Ted Schiff, also a dermatologist, spurred the lawsuit in 2013 after he noticed that patients who came to him after seeing Marder had no serious skin ailments.
- People with conditions as benign as freckles, warts or even irritated skin were told by Marder that they had skin cancer.
- If Marder doesn’t pay up by Feb. 24, the amount will swell to $41 million, according to papers filed in U.S. District Court late Monday.
- But Marder can pay $5.2 million before that date to satisfy the $18 million accord.
- Marder retains his license to practice medicine.
More at Palm Beach Post