- Stanislav Petrov dies at 77 … Who?
He may have saved the world from nuclear destruction
> A Soviet soldier credited with saving the world from nuclear holocaust has died at age 77.
> Stanislav Petrov was the duty officer monitoring an early warning system from a bunker outside Moscow on Sept. 26, 1983, when the radar screen suddenly appeared to depict a missile inbound from the United States.
- Hurricane Maria takes aim at Caribbean islands BBC
— Could hit Puerto Rico as Cat-4 The Daily Beast
- Which obscenely rich person should buy Rolling Stone? Vice
- White House paranoia…
Is my co-worker wearing a wire for Mueller?
- How insurance companies boost opiod use New York Times
- Poll: 44% of Americans trust Trump to handle N. Korea crisis NPR
- Homelessness, hepatitis A, porta-potties,
and the bleached streets of San Diego
- The Great Strawberry War is over,
and the University of California has pretty much won
Courthouse News Service
- St. Louis officers make arrests
while chanting: “Whose streets? Our streets”
Washington Post via Pittsburgh Post Gazette
- Former Facebook exec: Facebook, Google
are “surveillance states” that need more regulation
- First wave of Brexit to cost London 10,000 jobs Reuters
- Prediction: India to surpass China as economic superpower